Friday, January 30, 2009

Travel Itenerary

Let me tell you a few things about buying a plane ticket to Africa.

First, they are expensive. We're taking $900 in taxes alone expensive.

Second, it helps if you are going over to do humanitarian aid, like me. Then the people at British Airways say, "hey, thanks for being all giving and such" and give you a big discount on your ticket. And make it possible to stay over in London for no extra charge for 3 days on the way back to the states. Then the people from South African Air also say, "yeah, thanks for helping out, we'll book you some $70 tickets to Mozambique that usually cost $300." It's nice to get a little help on the ticket situation, but even if I didn't get the discount, I'd still be going anyway.

So it's official. I will be in the air starting at 1:40 pm on the 25th of April, and won't touch down in balmy humid Mozambique until 3pm on the 27th of April. Yes, that is two days of straight up airplane food, in-flight movies, layovers, weird neck pillows filled with goodness knows what, covering your ears after you flush the vacuum-powered toilet (yes, I cover my ears okay. It's loud, and scary.) swollen feet, and gross alligator skin from the dry plane cabin.

And you know what? I love every minute of it. I love traveling, getting to a new place and stopping along the way. I also love Africa, Mozambique, and the Indian Ocean, and if it takes over 25,000 miles, 60 hours of flying, 8 separate flights, and 4 days round trip I'll be the first in line to get there. Why? Because I miss my friends there, I miss my little 5th graders, I miss my primary kids, and I miss the sunsets of Mozambique.

April 25th won't be here soon enough.

No comments: