Monday, April 13, 2009

So Soon (12 Days)

This year has been one difficulty after another with getting the program to Mozambique.

First we have no housing.
Then we find a house and a tent for us to use for two months.
Then we have no letter of invitation (read:no entry into Mozambique)
Then we get a letter of invitation and subsequently our passports back.
Then one of the visas is wrong, so we send it back to be fixed.

Now we are waiting for that passport, and we need to find lodging for five more people while they are in Maputo.

But there have been fun things too:

I will get to see my friends and students when I get back to Maputo.
I will go on Safari again and see beautiful animals in South Africa.
I will visit Inhaca Island for the first time. (It looks like Bora Bora)
I get to stop in London for 3 days on the way back.
I get to see Wicked in London's West end.

There are most certainly highs and low's with the trip this year. We leave in 12 days and I feel like I still have a lot to do. Travelers insurance, tuition payments, finish buying things, and so forth. I feel a bit overwhelmed with everything that I need to do, but I know I will finish it all! Overall we are an excited group and I feel good about everyone that is going. Maybe if I have time later I can blog a bit about some more of this stuff in detail.

1 comment:

Jennene said...

Hi Kristin,

I hope your flight to Maputo and all points in between went well. I don't know why flying is so tiring, but it is. I just checked the weather for Maputo and guess what? It says 81 degrees for as far as the forecast went. Sounds like the tropics.

How is the house? It will be much nicer to have control over your own food. That should solve a lot of problems you encountered before. Now to sound like a mom, which I am, make sure you use a mosquito net. That malaria stuff is bad juju. Just ask Dad.

How is the ride out to the NGO? Hopefully it isn't too hard or squishy.

Did the guys end up in tents or were they able to squeeze them in somewhere at the facility?

I will keep you informed about things here on the home front and later from zee Chermany. Dad and I are really proud of you. Go out there and touch some lives! Like I tell Tisha, you were born for this! I love you lots and will talk with you later.