Friday, May 16, 2008

maybe some pictures today...

Hello everyone from downtown Maputo. I have today off, well kind of, I taught some 5th graders this morning a little bit of English for an hour and a half. They were so cute! We learned some colors in english, taught them the ABC's and also learned "head shoulders knees and toes".

So this week...

We had a crazy big rain storm complete with thunder lightning and everything. I got one National Geographic style photo of the lightning.

We went Saturday on a tour of the city where we saw the place Elder Scott dedicated mozambique for the preaching of the gospel, then we went and ate lunch at the Holiday in Maputo Which is a 5 star hotel here, very very nice. Then I went and laid on the beach for the rest of the afternoon.

Sunday we went to church in Bemfica, which is different from where we went last week, we were just visiting that branch. We watched conference instead of having sacrament meeting because the saints of Mozambique are just now getting to watch it. They were kind of clueless as to what to do during the sustaining of President Monson, as was I when we had conference about a month ago, glad to see somethings in life are universal!

Monday- that was food poisoning day for me. I guess our cook had been pouring the new yourgurt she would buy into se same container as the old yougurt so it was going raincid at the bottom, and everyone kept eating it not knowing that was going on. So, I woke up that morning aroung 6 am threw up, and continued that for the rest of the day with a fever. But we talked to the cook, explained why layering new yougurt on old yougurt isnt a healthy practice, and we're all good now.

Tuesday-Teaching. This week the kids learned the imperative (the command form in english) and used "Irreplaceable" by beyonce as practice with it, as well as help on pronunciation. It was a big hit. Next we we'll do the "th" sound and use Chris Brown's "with you" for that...good times!

Wednesday-More teaching of course! I also had a girl as me to start tutoring here after she is done with school, I agreed and we started that on thursday. We also wento down to the corner to buy some fruit and stuff aroung 10 pm and noticed that the police were down there in full riot gear with m-16 machine guns....needless to say we hurried home when we saw that! Later I found out that is how they dress when they are breaking up the clandestine fruit vendors. Oh, okay...makes no sense to me seeing as how those fruit vendors are mostly older women, but whatever.

Thursday-Taught the same thing and also started tutoring the girl. She is probably like 16 or 17 and cant read or write anything but is a fast learner, I think I'll be able to help her a lot. Then we had a really good class on one of the short stories we had to read for class. I love the literature from this country, it is so beautiful!

Well really quick, Mom and dad thanks for signing me up to go white water rafting with Tisha and Dad, I am excited! And mom it was good to talk to you on the phone last saturday, happy mothers day again! Jill, thanks for passing along "J-money"'s letters, glad to hear things are going so well for him in the MTC!! Nuh...I am glad that you enjoyed Mexico, it is a beatuiful country isn't it! I am stoked to see those pictures!

In closing I tried to upload some pics but to no avail. I can't see which is which on this but soon!

No comments: