Sunday, May 4, 2008

Sunday, Sunday, Suuunnndaaaay!

The title is to be read in the monster-truck derby announcer voice...just for fun.

Yesterday we went around the city down town and toured some of the major sites here. We have been really blessed to have Elder and Sister Davis, a missionary couple drive us around for some of the time here. They are so nice and Sister Davis and us girls are going to go shopping some time soon in the city, which will be great! The downtown area in some parts is very worn down, it makes me so sad sometimes to see the potential of the people here and the conditions they are living in, but that is the reason we are here, to try and help make a small diference in the lives of those around us. Speaking of why we're here...

Friday I went to the school where I will be working and it will be interesting for sure. None of the children have books to work out of, and it is up to me to create lesson plans and activities to help them learn english without any materials. We went and met every class that I will be working with and I introduced myself to all 12 classes. Yes, I will be teaching around 12-15 classes of english during the week, and their ages range from around 12 all the way up to 30 years old. This will def. be a challenge! I'm up for it though.

Thursday was the national labor day, so we watched two choruses that sang songs in Shangana, the native dialect here of Ronga, an African Language. It was so beautiful! After that we watched one of the schools teams play soccer against a visiting schools team. It was fun and I have some good pictures of both events, I will post them once I get a chance, I am sans camera at the moment.It was nice to have a day off to continue to recover from jet-lag and also sleep of a cold that I caught in the plane on the way to London. It is almost gone, and I am so glad!

Also, we have been getting to know some of the people who are around are age here and they are all so much fun! We had a girl teach us a dance last night that is from Beira, and also us 5 girls are going to get weaves and braid our hair HA! We have a friend buying the extensions for us, and another girl that we met here is going to braid it. Yes, I'm not kidding...so watch for pictures soon, it will be awesome! We decided when in Africa, do as the Africans do! The girls from here think we're crazy for wanting to braid our hair but oh well...it should be fun!

Today is obviously Sunday, and so we went to Maputo 2nd Branch, which will be our branch while we are here. Everyone is nice, and I sat with an investigator during Testimony meeting. The people here are so ready for the gospel it is amazing to me. I learned that the country was deiciated for the preaching of the gospel only in 1998 by Elder Scott. In 2000 a Mozambique mission was opened with only 6 elders, and now there are 2 missions and so many people are willing to talk to us about the gospel. This week alone we invited 3 people to church and all three are going to come next week. It is so nice to be able to share the gospel with people and live the "every member a missionary motto". And just so you don't think I am sitting in an interntet cafe paying to use the computer on the Sabbath, I am sitting in the mission office writing on their computer. The missionaries were kind enough to let us all come in and check out emails etc. Yay for kindness!

Tomorrow I will start teaching, and I still have to write a lesson plan for what I'll be doing for my first 5 classes tomorrow. I hope those kids don't eat me alive, some of them are pretty active and have lots of energy...I just hope I can keep up with them:)

Thanks to everyone for all the emails, comments, etc. that you send. It is always nice to open up my inbox or my blog and see your nice encouraging words. I hope you all have a wonderful sunday and a good week. Next time you hear from me I hope to put up some pictures and write about my first day of teaching.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hey Aguilera! To animada pra ver o seu novo hair do! Q bom q esta se divertindo por ai. Vai ser legal vc poder ensinar ingles!! Eh super divertido!!! Mas entao, obrigada por fazer um bllog e deixar os amigos participarem da tua aventura!! Fico feliz que pode fazer o trabalho missionario!
Bjoooooos