Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Up to my knees

In Mud.


Last time I wrote I said we were going to do something fun for the holiday here. We decided to go out to Macaneta beach which is about a two hour drive away are requires taking your car across a river filled with lilly pads and driving down a dirt road filled with pot holes for 45 minutes. The car we took is a chapa, basiaclly a gutted out van from the 80's that has some extra shocks on it. Well, when we got to the other side of the river we saw that the roads had been washed out from the rains a few days ago. That is about when the chapa got stuck in about a foot or two of mud. So we all got out and pushed it...that was a sight for the Africans to see. A bunch of white boys and girls pushing the car out of the mud.

The bach was wonderful, beautiful and just warm enough. We loved it.

This past weekend we went into town and had a long but fun day. We went to the artisan fair where we picked up some local crafts, took the boys to the capulana store to get them some fabric to make african-style suits. Then we went to a museum, looked around, and walked down the road along the beach to the Mission Presidents home where we had lunch and a small fireside with him and his wife. Then Mike and I rushed to teach the Econ class at the church and after that was done we went to a play downtown. We had a great time, and I was glad everyone was able to do so much.

This week we are just teaching and during the weekend we are going out to an orphanage to visit the kids and take them some food and clothing. I went there a few times last year so I am excited to go and see the kids again.

Also, church here has been wonderful. We have gone to the branch downtown and also in a poorer area, T3, which is where I spent the majority of my time last year. It was good to see the growth that has happened so far, I am excited for them!

Well I have to go already, my time is up at the internet cafe, but hopefully I will get to write some more soon, and post some pictures. I just need to find time :)

Love you all!

2 comments:

Janae said...

The Packards?? I love them!! :) Good to hear you're doing so well. You are an inspiration to me, Kristin!!

Kenneth Magleby said...

So hmm kristen i got my Mission call.
João Pessoa Brazil Mission!
I am wayy excited! It will be way good!
Hope to hear from you soon
Email me!
kmagleby@gmail.com

Kenneth Magleby