Thursday, May 28, 2009

Done and Done

Hey everyone.

So things are winding down here in Maputo for us already. The time is flying by!

Our cluture class that we were teaching up at the Polytechinic school finished last night. We had a game with water balloons and for a treat we taught the kids how to make smores. Tracking down the marshmallos was easier than I thought it would be! They all enjoyed it and we had a good time. Also we are helping the boys teach their last class at the teachers college this afternoon, and tomorrow we have nothing planned! That will be good because we have some loose ends to tie up for our trip to Beira before we...

Go teach for a week at One World Univeristy in Changalane, which is the University I was helping at last year. It is about and hour and a half to two hours outside of the city, and about half of that time is on a dirt road. I love the drive out there, it is gorgeous. I am excited to go back and see if some of the students from last year are still there. They have internet there too, so maybe I will finally be able to upload some pictures!

This weekend I was supposed to be translating for Elder Nelson's wife and also the wife of the Area President, but they will be bringing their own translators with them for the conference on Saturday and Sunday. I am so excited for the saints here to have the chance to have an apostle and his wife visit, the last time one was here was in 2002 according to the branch president where I went to church on sunday.

This post is really scattered, so sorry about that, but lastly I wanted to tell you about the woman we met working in the machamba. On Monday I got up early and went to the cemetary to take pictures of the sunrise and the light was perfect. Then Tuesday we got up and went to the machamba to get pictures of the sunrise there. Just as we were getting ready to walk back I said "I wish I could see Alice before we leave" and literally 10 minutes later there she is smiling and waving from across the river. She is the woman that let me help carry the lettuce on my head for over a mile to the pick-up stop. She is the one that invited us to her church where her father is a pastor. She is always smiling and loves to give hugs, and is just the sweetest lady you will ever meet. I talked to her and we worked out having her come to dinner on sunday so Mike, Dusty, and I will be making tacos. Surprisingly enough we found handmade tortillas here (go figure), taco seasoning, and we are going to make our own salsa. After watching Oli and Haguit a few times I think I can do it! For dessert we are having ice cream sundaes. I love that lady and her family, I hope they can all come.

Anyway I have to go, Kailey and Helena are getting their hair braded today and they still need to buy there weave. The jury is still out on weither or not I want to do it this year. Any votes for braids? Any against it? Let me know!

Love you all, have a great week :)

4 comments:

Melanie said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Melanie said...

Do it! Do it! Ha ha ha... actually, from what you've told me, I don't know if it would be worth the pain! But it looks so cool... Ugh... I see your dilemma.

Gary said...

I finally got my profile setup so I can follow your African adventures. I'm glad you could reconnect with Alice. Good luck with the dinner.

Mila Amorim said...

It's great to hear from you! Do the braids!!!!
Wow, you were able to find marshmellows in Maputo? I don't think you can find it in Brazil!! '
Have fun cooking dinner to your friends!
I will write you soon!!!
Saudades!!!!!!!!!!