Monday, June 29, 2009

Pièce de résistance: Kruger Park

This is my Pièce de résistance.

I took it early in the morning, while we were on our morning safari that went from 5-8 am. I had seen a print similar to this that caught my eye a few months back. After a bit of tweaking I feel like it really is a decent photo. Many of the ones that I took were blurry from the safari trips, but I was so happy that this one was in focus and so crisp.

The safari experience is interesting in the fact that you are essentially driving around looking for animals the entire time. It has the potential to be three hours of complete boredom, but for me it was moving. There is something ethereal about happening upon a cheetah just at dawn, when the sky is still a murky grey, awaiting its colors of the morning. Turning a corner in the road and seeing a giraffe twice the size of your van crossing the street is surreal, and watching lions 30 feet away eat their prey isn't horrifying, but a fascinating moment.

I remember last year being utterly disappointed with the idea of staying on paved roads, I envisioned driving through grasslands in an open jeep looking for rhinos and lions in the tall grass. But, after seeing it all, I am happy the safari was the way it was. My pictures don't do it justice, but my memories will last-and that is all I need.

No comments: