Friday, June 19, 2009

Week in Beira

So last you heard we were in a hotel after a long LONG busride.

Sunday morning we went to church, and let me tell you, we were so blessed for doing so. We talked with the Zone leaders and explained why we showed up to sacrament meeting in church clothes with our backpacking backpacks with us. They told us that there is a home two blocks from the beach that belongs to the mission that wasn't being used and that we could stay there for free. So we went to check it out after church and it was perfect. We stayed there for the week and avoided paying hundreds of dollars. And there was a kitchen and a washing machine, it was heaven!

Monday we went to see a wood carver out in Manga, which is on the outskirts of the city. I bought some souveniers and also was able to meet up with Mike and see Care for Life, where he is working for this week. It was neat to see the place I have heard so much about from so many people in the US. He is having a lot of fun out there helping train people and observe classes in rural communities. Later that night we met up for dinner, and right as we all went to pay the check with our card, the lights went out. For the whole neighborhood. It was pitch black! We paid in cash, walked back to the chapa stop enjoying the breaking waves and the stars, and went home.

Tuesday we went to the beach, which is a long story! We rented a van to take us out to the river where we would cross to get to the beach and pick us up. About 45 minutes into the trip he stops us in the middle of nowhere and demands that if he takes us any farther we pay him more. It was ugly, mainly because I cannot fathom doing that to someone, it was so dishonest. After all of us taking our turn chewing him out in Portugese for doing that he finally drove us the rest of the way. We paid him for the ride there and told him we didn't need a ride home. So we cross the river and upon arriving on the other side we see that there is a little inn on the island. We talk to the owner and to stay in a little hut on white sand surrounded by coconuts it cost only $12. We decided to stay the night, eventhough we had no change of clothing or anything. It was a good choice! We went to the beach and swam till the sun went down, then ate dinner while the generator was still running (they only have electricity from 6-9pm each night) and then we went back down to the beach. Just the night before Mike was explaining the red tide phenomenon to me, and as we get to the beach we see red tide. It was AMAZING! I had never seen it before. Then all of us went in the water because it was too cool to pass up, but we weren't in our swimsuits and didn't want to get our only clothes wet, so I'll leave it up to you to figure out what happened there :)

Wednesday after we rode home from the beach in the back of a truck with the catch of the day and about 30 people, we went to help the elders construct a jungle-gym for an orphanage. It was fun, and then that night Mike came out to go to dinner again-this time it was indian food....mmmm! I loved it! After he left Chrstina, Kailey and I made a batch of no-bake cookies in the microwave for our busride home, and packed our stuff, and Dusty found us a ride to the bus terminal for 2:45 am.

Thusday 2 am we wake up, Dusty calls the ride, and he says he can't come. Lucky those same elders that found us a place to stay said they would take us to the terminal. Those to deserve major blessings! So Kailey, Dusty, Christina and me rode home on the bus for 15 hours. It was a nice bus this time, we could put our feet up, there were movies and snacks, air conditioning and a bathroom! HEAVEN! So now...

We are back in our apt in Maputo with a few days left here in Mozambique. Just today and tomorrow basically, because I start my journey to London on Sunday with Kailey and Christina. I will be sad to leave this year, I have a feeling this will not be the last time I am here however. I will find my way back somehow. Even when I get home I will be writing on here, about things I didn't have time to write about and putting up pictures.

I hope everyone has a good weekend, I know I will!

Love you all!

1 comment:

Gary said...

Pie-Pie,

Glad to hear you survived all of your adventures and travels through the wilds of Mozambique. I agree with you about the chapas driver. That was way shady. Safe journey to London.

Love,

Dad