Tuesday, March 18, 2008

OoOoh that hurts!


The official count down is at 39 days. I am in the process of registering with the US State Department and the US consulate in Maputo at the moment. I had to do this when I went on Study abroad to Sao Paulo and again for my internship in Curitiba so it's nothing too new. Mainly the security administrator for BYU asks us to do this so if we get hurt, killed, kidnapped, etc. while abroad they know who to get a hold of, and so the US is aware of the fact that we are abroad. It sounds worse than it really is, I am not worried at all about going abroad, but to be honest anytime they make you sign your life away it is a bit disquieting.

Also the title of my blog comes from one of this things I hate most in life. Needles. I doubt there are people out there in the world who actually enjoy getting shots or having their blood drawn, and if there are, they are weird. No argument, they are just weird. Since I have gotten a lot of immunizations in the past for my other travels abroad I thought perhaps I could escape shots this time around, but it looks like I was wrong. According to the centers for disease control I am missing a few shots that I will need to get within the next week, but it isn't nearly as bad as it was when I went to Brazil the first time. That time I think it was about 3 shots in each arm. As I am writing this it makes me wonder why it is that the nurses always say, "just a little prick" or "okay, your going to feel a little pinch now" when they know full well it hurts more than "just a little pinch". Lies, lies, lies...hehehe.

And as a final note my summer situation has finally been resolved. I will get back into Salt Lake on Friday night the 20th of June, and I will enjoy a weekend off from school before I start back on Monday with summer term. I was hoping to take summer term off and just chill out, but since I have been offered a teaching position at BYU in the fall for the Portuguese dept. I have to take a teaching techniques class during the summer. In Spanish. Yes, in Spanish. hahaha...go figure. They don't offer it in Portuguese during the summer, but since I understand Spanish enough they stuck me in that class, we'll see how that goes! I'll also be finishing up some left over credits I need to do in order to officially graduate with my BA in Portuguese. So I will be in school, as always...maybe someday I will finish! The only exciting thing about staying for summer is that Camila and I will be roomies again, yay! Camila, da pra fazer bagunca de novo hehehe....viva o FLSR!

1 comment:

Brynley said...

I hate needles too, but I like giving shots. I never know what to say to patients when giving shots because I know it will hurt but I don't want to make their expectations wore than they are.