Friday, March 21, 2008

Today, Tomorrow, Forever and Never

Today what did I do?
-Hmm....in regards to my internship, talked to some people who have done this internship in the past. Apparently, it is AWESOME from what they say. Not all of us will be teaching English like I originally thought. They also need teachers in history (since that is my other major I could very well get put in that job), AIDS prevention, computer literacy, polytechnics, and English as well. We will be living about a five minutes by car from the beach, and we only teach for about an hour a day. So that means we will have to go to class, all of us are taking Literature of Mozambique and also Culture of Mozambique while we are there, and the rest of the time is free time, teach, and the rest of the time people go out and chill on the beach, shop, eat out, etc... Needless to say this will be nice if it really is like that, but somehow I think it might be a little more challenging, I will let you know!

Tomorrow what am I doing?
-Good question. I have practice for my play that we are putting on for the Humanities department theater festival next week. It is a Brazilian play from the Northeast called "Morte e Vida Severina". Then buying food for our Easter dinner that we are having at my apt. on Sunday. Also going with a good friend to see "Be kind rewind" I am a fan of Jack Black and it looks funny! I will miss doing random things like cooking for friends and family and going to see movies at the dollar theater while I am in Africa, BUT I am super stoked to make new friends, experience new things, and learn how to cook new foods...yay for new things!

I will forever....
-Try to make the best of the situation I am in. I learned that when you are someplace new everything is foreign and you feel like a fish out of water. I learned going to Europe this past summer that sometimes your flights don't always land on time, and that patience is always a good thing to keep even in stressful situations. I could have gotten mad coming back from Curitiba to the United States at the fact my flight left two hours late and that my luggage broke....but instead I chatted with some Argentines about the church welfare system and my internship and translated for an American mom with 3 small kids that didn't speak Portuguese at the airport. I could have gotten stressed when Camila and I got stuck in the air port in Campo Grande for six hours, but I used that time to learn to play chess.... I plan on making the most of my time in Mozambique and try to not let the little things stress me out:)

I will never...
-Be close minded. Everyone has reasons for being the way they are and doing the things they do. I know that things are going to be different when I get to Mozambique, but I want to learn from those differences and not do the typical ethnocentric thing of "well in America we..." or "we would NEVER do that at home" that bugs me more than anything, I enjoy visiting other cultures and seeing the best and worst of their society. That way I learn and gain perspective on life, what I have, and what I can do as an individual to help out those around me. I know I can't help out everyone in life, but if I can give service to a few that is enough for me as long as it makes a difference, however small it might be.

So there you go. Today, tomorrow, forever, and never.

2 comments:

Clark and Liesel said...

Lamb!!! Hullo! Why you not tell me you have a blog, huh?! Just kidding! Jeni sent me her blog link and I found your blog there! Its great to keep up with all the things you are going through getting ready for your internship! I am happy to know you Kristin- you are a great person and have touched so many lives for good. Including mine!! I hope we can always be friends!

Kristin said...

LAMB!!!!! Hullo! Please I need to write you a LONG email telling you about my crasy life here in Provo! I am SO glad you found my little blog, I was going to tell you as soon as I emailed you next, I promise! Do you and clark have a blog about your east coast adventures? If so please email me the link lamb!! Thanks for your kind words, YOU have been an incredible inspiration to me, we will be friends forefffer, no worries!