Sunday, April 13, 2008

Little Adventures

I am gone in 2 weeks, or 14 days. Either way you look at it, it's the same amount of time. I finally found out a little bit more about where we are going to be teaching, but I still don't know what I will be teaching. I am going to be teaching in a high school, which is a crazy concept to me. Not because I feel unprepared or incapable, I feel like I will be able to offer a lot of knowledge actually. I just think it is interesting that I am going to have my very own class of high school students for 6 weeks in Africa. If someone would have told me that a year ago I would have laughed at them. I hadn't planned on ever going to Africa anytime soon, but when the offer came up it felt right, I guess it still seems a little sureal.

The idea of having a classroom full of kids is somewhat mind boggling for me. I guess that is because I never planned on being a teacher, yet I keep being given oppertunities to teach. My internship for the church was based on teaching, mostly every calling I have been given thus far has been teaching, I going to be teaching during this internship in the Spring, I will be taking a class over Summer on teaching foreign languages, and I will be student faculty for the Portuguese department at BYU starting next year teaching Portuguese 101 and 102. I never considered myself a stellar teacher, yet I keep finding myself in these situations where I am teaching. I guess it is good practice and I have learned SO much already through the experinces I have been given. I love teaching, I just never saw myself as a teacher before.

I also have been contemplating what to do while in London. As my trip is getting closer I have been looking for things to do during my 12 hour layover in the city. So far some suggestions have been:

1.Westminster Abby
2.The British Museum
3.See a musical
4.Go shopping at Harrods
5.Watch the changing of the guard at Buckingham Palace

I just want to have fun and go explore London a bit. I say carpe diem and that I would probably regret it if I just stayed in the airport the whole time. So if anyone has any other London ideas let me know!

I am really excited to go, and I know that this trip is going to be a great experince for me. It can't get here soon enough. I love traveling, I like the feeling of being in the airports, that feeling you get when your waiting for a flight to some place far away, its like a little adventure for me. I like the unknown of what will happen, and I am looking forward to the getting there part almost as much as the internship itself.

No comments: