Saturday, April 5, 2008

What are we doing in Mozambique?


Today for those of you who don't know is an exciting day for members of the LDS church, also known as "the Mormons". We have General Conference, which is a set of 5 meetings spread out over today and tomorrow. In these meetings we hear guidance, counsel, and direction from leaders that come from many different countries, cultures, and customs. All these different speakers focus on how we can better our lives, live a life that is happier, focus on our families, service, Christ, and becomeing the best people we can be. I look forward to these meetings because I always walk away from them feeling edified, uplifted, and encouraged to become better and do better.

During the break between these two meetings I was watching the Church's World Report, that gives updates and news about how people are being helped and taught the message of the restored gospel throughout the world. Since I am going to Mozambique, I became intersted when they showed a story about the LDS church teaming up with the American Red Cross in Africa to help erradiate Measles. This got me thinking, what is it that our church is doing right now in Mozambique? Well after a few minutes of reasearch I found a few answers.

The church is working to erradicate Measles, they also are donating wheelchairs to disabled people who cannot afford to buy a wheelchair. Also clean drinking water is a problem, and the church has been helping to get clean, affordable water to those in Mozambique. Doctors that are affiliated with the church also go to Mozambique to help give vision treatment. In addition to this the members of the church in Maputo, Mozambique also have a strong desire to help each other, from the words of a missionary who served in the Maputo Mozambique Mission, we can see the help that is being given and recieved among the members of the church. The church does this to simply help those that cannot help themselves, because that is what Christ would do if he were here. I am so blessed to be a part of this church, and it makes me happy to see people not only in Mozambique but throughout the world recieve help and assistance from the church, both those who are members of our faith and those who are not.

I am so grateful to be going and adding to this service by having the oppertunity to work through BYU, a school that is owned and run by the LDS church, as an intern for a non-governmental organization. I am looking forward to all the experinces that will be happening in my life in a little over three weeks from now. I am constantly grateful for BYU trusting us to go as ambassadors of sorts not only of the Portuguese Department and the University, but also as examples of the church and our beliefs. This is not new to me, I remember this responsibility very well while I was working for the Church Humanitarian and Employment department, and I am excited to get out there and increase BYU's and the church's visability and presence in Africa. I know I won't be making any profound difference, but I am glad to have the chance to at least make one, however small it may be:)

No comments: